New CDC Mask Order effective 1 February 2021
Effective 1 February 2021, The CDC issued an Order requiring travellers to wear masks when entering or on the premises of an aviation facility or transportation hub, awaiting, boarding, disembarking, and for the duration of travel.
The CDC mask requirement applies to aviation facilities such as airports, FBOs and commercial aircraft operations, as well as charter operations.
This Order must be followed by all passengers on public conveyances traveling into, within, or out of the United States as well as operators and operators of transportation hubs or any other area that provides transportation.
Aviation facility and transportation hub operators are required to use best efforts to ensure travellers are wearing masks, including:
- Only allowing entry or boarding to those wearing masks (properly, covering mouth and nose)
- Monitoring passengers/travelers and seeking compliance for those on premises or onboard
- At earliest opportunity, removing or disembarking, any person who refuses to comply to the stated request
- Provide advanced notification of requirement by Federal law available for travelers via email, print, website, and other digital platforms as necessary
Exemptions are granted for the following:
- Eating, drinking, or taking medications, for brief periods
- Communicating with a person who is hearing impaired and the ability to see the mouth is essential for communication
- If, on an aircraft, wearing oxygen masks are needed due to loss of cabin pressure or other event affecting aircraft ventilation
- Travellers who are unconscious (for reasons other than sleeping), incapacitated, unable to be awakened, or otherwise unable to move without assistance
- Temporarily removing to verify a traveler’s identity such as through TSA screening or by a gate agent or any law enforcement official
- Children under the age of 2 years
- A person with a disability who cannot safely wear a mask, because of a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act
- A person for whom wearing a mask would create a risk to workplace health, safety, or job duty as determined by the relevant federal regulations or workplace safety guidelines