Duncan Aviation says half of US aircraft not ADS-B compliant

news
0
SHARE:

ADS-B Out

Duncan Aviation says that half of all business aircraft required by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to be Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) out compliant have yet to be upgraded.

ADS-B is a system that electronically broadcasts an aircraft’s precise location in real time.

The FAA has set a strict deadline of January 1, 2020 for all aircraft to have ADS-B capabilities. After this, any aircraft that are not compliant will be grounded.

For aircraft operating at or above Flight Level 180 (18,000ft) an aircraft must not only have ADS-B out capabilities, but it must also have a Mode S transponder with Extended Squitter.

A squit is a short package of data that the Mode S transponder sends out. An extender squitter sends out a larger packet of data, which can hold up to 49 individual pieces of data.

Market research carried out by Duncan Aviation found that 48% of aircraft have already been upgraded to meet the ADS-B mandate date, but the remaining 52% still need to be upgraded.

As we get closer to the 2010 mandate date, Duncan Aviation is expecting there to be a rush of aircraft owners looking to upgrade their aircraft, but also warns potential customers not to delay the work necessary until close to the date as it is expecting its maintenance facilities to be busy.

Duncan Aviation says that it has so far completed hundreds of upgrades and can complete the necessary work within a 10-day period.

SHARE: