ANA and Sojitz join forces to launch business jet operator


ANA Holdings, the holding company that owns Japanese airline All Nippon Airways (ANA) has formed a partnership with Sojitz to form a business jet operator.

The new company will be called ANA Business Jet Co., Ltd.

At the same time, ANA Holdings also signed a memorandum of understanding with Honda Aircraft, which will see the new operator using HondaJets.

“I am delighted that ANA has chosen the HondaJet to support their arranged feeder and charter flight operations,” said Michimasa Fujino, president and CEO, Honda Aircraft “I am confident the HondaJet will meet and exceed their customers’ expectations with its unrivaled speed, efficiency, luxurious features and comfort. I’m looking forward to expanding the business-jet market through the use of the HondaJet by ANA.”

Although ANA Business Jet will offer direct charters from Japan, the HondaJets will be used from major ANA hubs in Europe and the US.

It is aiming to begin operations in the summer of 2018.

Under the terms of the partnership, ANA will own 51% of the company and Sojitz the remaining 49%. It will launch with registered capital of $1.8 million.

“Through this strategic partnership and use of the HondaJet, ANA will create new demand to utilize business jets, in particular for travellers of various Japanese entities who value convenience and privacy in their overseas travel.” Said Shinya Katanozaka, president and CEO, ANA Holdings.

While ANA will provide its corporate sales network as well as regular connections to its scheduled flight route network, Sojitz will share its knowledge of private-jet operations.

In 2017 Sojitz purchased a minority stake in Florida-based ACJ Jet Charters and used its AOC to set up its own Guam-based operator called Phenix Jet.

Sojitz says it set up Phenix Jet to capitalise on an increase in wealthy individuals and companies using private jets in Asia.

ANA Business Jet will have its headquarters in Tokyo and says its new service will ‘drastically shorten travel time and allow passengers to travel in comfort and with privacy.’